Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Romantic Retreat

My favorite color is RED and my four year old is always quick to tell everyone that "mom's favorite color is red".  I decorate with red quite a bit and LOVE how it makes a very bold, yet elegant statement.  When we purchased our home, the master bedroom was a bland, boring beige oasis.  We removed the faded beige carpeting and refurbished the gorgeous wood floors below.  The floral wallpaper border had to go as well.  I painted 2 accent walls with Behr's "Deep Merlot" and the remaining walls are a light and airy "Dune" by Sherwin Williams.  It turned out to be such a wonderful, romantic retreat for my husband and I.  Therefore, I decided to submit a photo of it in a contest that the  Detroit Free Press was having for Valentine's Day 2009.  It was such a joy to have a design of mine printed and published!  As a side note, the editors did change the title of my room from "Red Hot Retreat" to "Sleepy Retreat", but I am still thrilled about the opportunity (See below to see the news article).  Here's the submitted photo
Our bedroom furniture was purchased at a furniture store called Classic Interiors.  It was going out of business and we used our cash wedding gifts to buy the four piece bedroom set.  A timeless and beautiful investment.
The lamps were purchased at Wal-Mart, the throw pillows & curtains were hand sewn by my mom, and the rugs (three piece set) were purchased from Craigslist for $30.00.  Picture frames are from Joann Fabrics and the photos are from our wedding day.  This is the master bedroom of my dreams and I get to share it with the man of my dreams.  What could be better than that?!

The antique chair in the corner is from my husband's grandmother.  I like how the curves mimic the curves of the sleigh bed and the wood tones are very similar.  The map art was purchased at JC Penney.

Detroit Free Press Homestyle section newspaper clipping February 2009:

Here is a picture of the master bedroom before we moved in:

Linking up with

HOUSEography House Tour Featured

No comments:

Post a Comment