Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Simple Coat Rack and Gallery Wall


Coat Rack/Art Gallery

A mudroom/laundry room can never have enough hooks and storage.  With kids even if there are lots of hooks they often always throw their coats and backpacks on the floor.  My fingers crossed, wishful remedy - a cute coat rack that is hung within their reach.



Before/After:

Primed wall, applied pre-pasted, paintable bead board wallpaper (from Lowes):

Added a wide trim piece and small ledge.  Details were added with a router & the trim and wallpaper were painted with the same color as the existing doors and trim in the laundry room (Behr primer/paint Ivory Beige color):


Finally my favorite detail was added!  Aren't these dragonfly hooks adorable?! They were purchased a few years ago on final clearance at Target.  They were marked down to a few dollars and I knew they would come in handy someday.


Since the bead board wallpaper went up so easily and looked realistic I decided to try applying it to the cabinet fronts.  It was so quick and easy and I am thrilled with the results!



Cabinet Before/After:



Gallery Wall

The hooks have proved functional and after several months I have finally tackled the blank wall space above. The combination of framed family pictures and children's artwork combine perfectly in this space.  The vertical interest makes this small room feel larger.  


This gallery wall cost $25 for the Lifestyle frames from Michael's (including the matting) and $10 for the picture printing (Costco).  I already had two 11 x 14 frames and the oval frame.  I love the layered look of the oval frame overlapping the 11 x 14 frames.  It makes for an interesting focal point!


Artist Credit:  The large watercolor painting on the left was created by Olivia when she was 3 years old.  The colorful tissue paper collages were made by Addison and Amelia when they were 3 years old.  

Photography Credit:  Family Photos by Vanessa Saven Photography 2014

Construction Execution:  Huge THANK YOU to my Dad who perfectly executed my vision on this project!  He made the shelf/coat rack for me.  

Here is a look back at this room when I began beautifying it.  Click here.  



No comments:

Post a Comment